Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I DID IT MY WAY #433

SURFING WITH JESUS #433071906
Pastor Gene A. Dasher, Sr.
2355 Parkway Dr. SE
Cleveland, TN 37323
gene@SurfingwithJesus.com
www.SurfingwithJesus.com

I DID IT MY WAY

This past week I was selfish and out of loop I guess you would say but I had a wonderful time as my grandson and I spent a week together doing what I wanted to do.We traveled to Florida and I was blessed to visit some folks I wanted to see.

Our first stop was in Jacksonville, Florida. The first night I visited with my near 90 year old uncle who has been in the ministry since he was a teenager. His health is not as strong as it once was but he still has fire in his heart for Jesus. It was so good to spend time with a warrior of the Lord and share the goodness that God has bestowed upon us. Should I live as long as he I hope my flame keeps kindled and the fire keeps burning to help hurting souls find their way to Jesus and help them grow in his love.

Our next night, I met with a childhood friend that I had not seen since 1958. It was like walking back into a friendship that had never failed. It was so good to meet him and his family. They were just home folks and made us feel very welcome. I just wish we could have had more time to catch up on things. I told him he was a fossil when he told me they had been married for over 40 years. Of course, I guess I'm one too but it's just unusual with us Viet Nam Vets. It seems so many homes were hindered or destroyed over the years. This is very sad to me.

Next, I met with a Viet Nam Vet I was stationed with in Cat Lai that I haven't seen since 1967. He was kind to invite us to spend time in his home and share a meal. Very few people even know where Cat Lai is but we have an inside joke that if you know about the pink floating latrine, then, you've been to Cat Lai. We couldn't get thru with one story before one or the other remembered another one. This could have gone on forever but I knew they had to work the next day.

My precious grandson kindly listened and endured three nights of these ole stories with my family and friends. Yes, I was blessed to see and share past times and catch up on our families. It is wonderful to have friends.

The rest of the week we spent going down the coast, stopping at beaches and lighthouses, and just enjoying being together and having a few days of fun. Selfish, yes, but how long has it been since you took time to go out of your way to share with someone that has touched your life in the past. Often, we wait until it is too late and we see the paper or get a call they are no longer with us.

I encourage you to take time for you, your family, and friends. It will be worth every effort you put forth to share with each other. Sometimes we just have to go out of our way to do things that need to be done. Jesus went out of his way for you and me when he left heaven, came to earth, sent by God to set us free. I'm thankful I am free in Him today. Have a great week and as the kids say today, "Just Do It."


1John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

My sole desire as I share is to uplift Christ, fellow Christians, and share the love of Jesus with others.

To join us weekly or stop receiving Surfing with Jesus, please send your request to gene@SurfingwithJesus.com. Please continue to pray with us for the request we receive each day.

No comments: