Sunday, April 21, 2013

WELCOME HOME VIETNAM VETERANS #80704202013



SURFING WITH JESUS

Pastor Gene A. Dasher, Sr.
#80604202013

WECOME HOME VIETNAM VETERANS
April 16, 2013, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
This week my wife and I took a journey to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for this special event of “Welcome Home Vietnam.” In 1966 we took our first journey having been newlyweds in 1965 as we said goodbye for a year at the Chattanooga, TN airport as I took my first plane ride on my way to Viet Nam. 

It still brings back cold chills and tears as I watched my precious wife in tears as I flew away. On April 24 we will have taken journeys together for 48 years and we are thankful God have blessed us and been with us all the way.

US Tours brought this idea to us and we celebrated together with other Vietnam Veterans remembering our youthful days. A handful could still get into their uniforms but most of us haven’t been able to in a long time. Some notes from a post by our State President put it this way.

“A special thank you to Chapter 979 for an exemplary performance of Color Guard duties at Welcome Home Vietnam - at the Dixie Stampede, Opening Ceremonies and for the Parade. 

Vietnam veterans from 28 states descended on Pigeon Forge for a Welcome Home a long-time in coming.  It was great to see such a strong representation from Chapters 203, 240, 596, 741, 875, 953, 979, 995, 1004, 1015 and 1073…

Commissioner Grinder delivered remarks that had us all teary-eyed.  Her contributions to the entire event/parade were, as usual, most appreciated…

Adrian "Goooooooooooooood Morning Vietnam" Cronauer was a special treat for us all and he went out of his way to spend time with as many as he could.  Delivered special remarks at the opening ceremonies, served as co-Grand Marshal of the Parade…

Pat Gualtieri, of the United War Veterans Council (and VVA member) and organizer of the huge New York City Veterans Parade also spoke to us and he presented the TSC the honor of accepting a flag that had flown over the World Trade Center. 

All of this would not have been possible without the initial idea, professionalism, enthusiasm and coordination by Bob Cline, Rita Ritenour and the rest of the staff of US Tours.  I can't thank them enough.  Plans are already in the works for an even bigger event next year.”

What a wonderful parade, people smiled, cried, waved and gave cheers to welcome us home. Chapter 596 Cleveland Tennessee is thankful to Jerry Goodner for taking us on his boat as our float. 

As we went down the street there stood that precious soul mate and sweetheart cheering her heart out as we passed by. Wow! She’s even prettier today than she was in 1966 but this time it was joy running in our veins as we spotted each other. 

Why would I take one of my Surfing with Jesus writings to tell you about this story? Well, it’s because I am so thankful God have allowed me to be alive and tell you about his love and his care for me. I came home, I live, and I want everyone to know we gave part of our life for you to have the freedom you have today. 

Hey, guess what? We had no tomatoes, or rotten potatoes thrown at us. We had no yells of baby killer, we had no one shun us, we were WELOME from one and all and for this we are thankful to you the people that took the time on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon to welcome us home. God bless you and God bless the USA.

The same Jesus I took with me to Vietnam and the same Jesus I have in my heart today wants to welcome you home too. Use the scripture below to reach out to him today. He awaits your return, welcome home.

REMEMBER

“If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1John 1:9

Join Surfing with Jesus mailing list: genedash@yahoo.com.Send prayer request to: genedash@yahoo.com

No comments: