Monday, February 08, 2010

How to Handle a Rumor 613020810

Surfing with Jesus

Pastor Gene A. Dasher, Sr

Web Site: http://SurfingwithJesus.Blogspot.com

#613020810

HOW TO HANDLE A RUMOR

A principle to live by!!!

Keep this philosophy in mind the next time you either hear, or are about to repeat, a rumor:

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me, I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Test of Three."

"Three?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student, let's take a moment to test what you're going to say."

"The first test is TRUTH. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is True?"

"No," said the man, "actually, I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it is True or not?"

"Now, let's try the second test, the test of GOODNESS. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something Good?"

"No, to the contrary...."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him even though you're not certain it's true?

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued, "You may still pass though, because there is a third test – the filter of USEFULNESS. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be

Useful to me?"

"No, not really...."

"Well" concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True, nor Good,

nor even Useful, then why tell me about it at all?"

The man was defeated and ashamed. This was the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

Now, how spiritual was this? Sounds like an excellent principal to operate in your Christian endeavors as you seek to serve the Master. Listening to non truth or something that is not good or hearing things not useful plants a seed in our mind that we don’t need.

WWJD? I think Jesus would “Nip it in the bud” and seek to lift people higher and help them on their journey to heaven. WWYD? What will YOU do?

“If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1John 1:9

Join Surfing with Jesus mailing list: genedash@yahoo.com.

Send prayer request to: genedash@yahoo.com

No comments: