Friday, May 24, 2013

A VETERANS MEMORY LANE #81505262013



SURFING WITH JESUS
Pastor Gene A. Dasher, Sr.
#81505262013

A VETERANS MEMORY LANE

It’s hard to believe it has been 47 years since I was in boot camp at Ft Knox, KY. I had married the love of my life just a year before and we are now separated by the call of duty to my Country, the good ole U S A. Bravo Company with a Drill Sergeant that had just come back from Vietnam. 

Well, here I was 163 lbs soaking wet being drilled to be a soldier and go save my Country. Finishing book camp brought on Advance training which I also completed at Ft Knox. 

Now for our first assignment; our Commander announced that we were the first unit that no one was going to Vietnam. Wow! I waited in line that night at the phone booth to call my wife of one year and tell her I was going to Germany. I would see her on the weekend with a two week leave before deploying.

Next morning, bright and early our Commander fell us out and announced everyone with the last name A-D was to fall out for Vietnam orientation. My mouth dropped and I thought, oh, my goodness, I’ll not call my wife on this one. I waited until I got home. To say the least she was shocked when it finally soaked in we will be apart another year.
Our separation and saying goodbye was one of the hardest things in our lives. We will always be grateful for the plane crew at Chattanooga, TN for allowing us a few extra minutes at the gate.

Well, up, up, and away to my new assignment and my first plane ride 12,000 miles away to a place we had only head about on the news.

Space will not allow me to continue but I want you to know I was blessed to know Jesus then and he is sweeter to me today than ever before. God allowed me to serve my country and come home safe. The prayers of my wife, family and friends played a big role in encouraging me while I was away.

I had to cling to God’s word where he said he would never leave me nor forsake me. Life is not always a bed of roses but I want you to know my God is real and he can help you and provide for you today. Give it all, give it all to Jesus and he will show you the way. 

Do you know the Lord? Then you need nobody else. If you need the Lord he is ever near. Just call his name and he will answer, the line is never busy so what are you waiting for. 

Lord, thank you for this day, thank you for blessing me to know you and still have the love of my life with me after 48 years of marriage. Truly, it gets sweeter and sweeter as the days go by. Thank you for your protection and provision. May I never fail to praise you for all you have done. 

REMEMBER

“If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1John 1:9

Join Surfing with Jesus mailing list: genedash@yahoo.com.Send prayer request to: genedash@yahoo.com


No comments: