Sunday, November 06, 2011

MY VETERANS DAY HERO #71411062011

SURFING WITH JESUS

Pastor Gene A. Dasher, Sr.

Web Site: http://SurfingwithJesus.Blogspot.com

#71411062011

MY VETERANS DAY HERO

My hero sits among us today. On April 24th 1965 she married a skinny 163lb kid from Mansfield, Ohio. In May 1966 she saw him off as he rode a bus to Columbus, Ohio on his way to Ft Knox Kentucky for boot camp. She and her mom drove thru the mountains to visit me and only the Lord knows how they made it because neither one had a sense of direction.

After I stayed for Advanced Training at Ft Knox; I called and told her I was being sent to Germany. The next day I found out that was changed to Vietnam. I didn’t have the heart to tell her over the phone so I waited to tell her in person. She didn’t believe me but when it finally sunk in, we were up the rest of the night with her crying.

She saw me off at the Chattanooga airport. I had never flown and the stewardesses ask me what was wrong. She told the pilot and he gave us another 15 minutes and said he would make it up in flight. That was a special moment for us. I’m still thankful today.

I was sent to Ft Dix New Jersey to catch a flight to Vietnam. Out over the Rockies our plane took a big dip falling several feet, I remember praying Lord I’m on my way to Vietnam don’t kill me before I get there. Little did I know it was just an air pocket and everything was alright?

While refueling in Los Angeles CA, I was able to get a phone booth and call my lovely wife. Then we were off to Hawaii to refuel again where I got in my last conversation with her. There were no cell phones or Skye or etc. You were just gone.

However, my faithful wife sent me a letter every day. And to top it off she sent me real to real tapes from what I remember over 100 of them to stay in touch.

Now folks this is my hero, she worked and kept the home front going but spent hours and hours communicating with me.

After nine months we met on R&R in Hawaii. This was our first time to speak and the last until I returned home in three months.

So what is Veteran’s Day all about? For this soldier it’s having my own hero still with me after 46 years of marriage. Thank you Mavis Edwina (Rominger) Dasher for always being there for me. You are my HERO.

God blessed me with a jewel and I treasure it more and more each day.

REMEMBER

“If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1John 1:9

Join Surfing with Jesus mailing list: genedash@yahoo.com.Send prayer request to: genedash@yahoo.com



No comments: